Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Where should I be?

I spent the last two hours at United Christian Ministries - a non-profit organization in Pickens County that offers emergency assiatnce to people in need. They have a huge food pantry, which is one of their primary ministries. They also help with clothing needs, financial needs (utility bills, heat, etc.). Being there really made me miss my job at Safe Harbor.

It seems like I have had many jobs in my short professional career, but being a counselor at SH was, by far, my favorite. I loved knowing that everyday I went to work I had an opportunity to help someone who needed help. I love the clients I worked with - the ones who really needed help and wanted to change their lives - the ones who were crazy as hell - the ones who knew how to work the system and get whatever they could get my any means necessary. I worked with people from all walks of life - many of whom had had really shitty lives and will probably struggle with life for the rest of their lives - unless they make some major changes.

Being at UCM reminded me of how much I enjoyed being on "the front lines" - really working with - talking with - spending time with people who sometimes just needed someone to care about them. I certainly don't think I was the end-all-be-all to their lives, but my care was genuine, as was my desire to help, and I think the women I served knew this about me - knew that my care was real and that I was not just there because it was a job.

Now, I am in a completely different environment. I am writing for the paper, which I also love. For as long as I can remember

No comments: